Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
1,081 - 1,100 of 2,195 Posts
Thanks dude. Makes the wheels look bigger!

Its interesting that losing some profile but changing the tyre brand increased the comfort. I plan to run 21's on mine and was worried about the loss of the already limited comfort there is as I will need to drop a profile to keep it as close to OEM as I can.
21" or 22" would be very nice, I also ride off road and that would not be very good. However, the driving comfort was made possible by the width.

21" or 22" would be very nice, I also ride off road and that would not be very good. However, the driving comfort was made possible by the width.
I think running bigger wheels on a PHEV will reduce your EV range considerably, on the Diesel it wont matter too much

I am looking at 21 x 9 , so quite a big increase in width

Yes. but not so wide. 245 maximum.
but the problem is what size exactly.
245/50 R20 has a 1 cm larger diameter.
245/45 R20 is 1.5 cm smaller.
smaller ones are not good.
1cm+ is better.
but 235 or 245 is not so felt on the road.
Yes the 45 profile is 5cm less tyre than the 50 profile. Normally this would mean less comfort. But the Toyos are much softer than the Bridgestones, so I think this is why it feels better.

Moving to 21's, I think the profile would naturally be 45 to keep the same rolling radius as the originals.

Why did you go for a considerably larger 265 width?

The climate is off. That explains it. With the climate it decreased 30%
yes, air conditioning off. The sun warmed the interior through the skylight.
When the air conditioning is off, air is blown into the car through the ventilation. more speed, more blowing.
But as I wrote earlier. I don't care about consumption, I just have a good feeling that everything works as it should. And that's only 13 degrees.
I am curious in the summer when it will be 30 degrees Celsius outside and the cooling is on full blast.

Yes the 45 profile is 5cm less tyre than the 50 profile. Normally this would mean less comfort. But the Toyos are much softer than the Bridgestones, so I think this is why it feels better.

Moving to 21's, I think the profile would naturally be 45 to keep the same rolling radius as the originals.

265/40 R21 is the same diameter as 235/50 R20.
I would definitely put 265/40 R21

Mainly because of performance and fast driving in corners. The car is safer when driving fast. On the highway, even if there is a side wind, the 265 will hold me better. When I bought it, I already knew that a car with 241 kW and 2 tons cannot stay at 235.

Attachments

265/40 R21 is the same diameter as 235/50 R20.
I would definitely put 265/40 R21

Mainly because of performance and fast driving in corners. The car is safer when driving fast. On the highway, even if there is a side wind, the 265 will hold me better. When I bought it, I already knew that a car with 241 kW and 2 tons cannot stay at 235.
Really useful. thanls Pavel.

Yes the wheels are far too narrow for the size of car, without a doubt, but I am not convinced about going to such a wide tyre on a 7.5J wheel is a safer option, certainly more comfortable as there is more rubber to absorb the bumps.

The 21's are normally 9J wide which is natively a 255 tyre for handling and a 265 for comfort.

265 just seems massive for a 7.5J wheel! but if its working for you then sounds fine!

Really useful. thanls Pavel.

Yes the wheels are far too narrow for the size of car, without a doubt, but I am not convinced about going to such a wide tyre on a 7.5J wheel is a safer option, certainly more comfortable as there is more rubber to absorb the bumps.

The 21's are normally 9J wide which is natively a 255 tyre for handling and a 265 for comfort.

265 just seems massive for a 7.5J wheel! but if its working for you then sounds fine!
you may have missed it.
I wrote in another post, the disc size is 8.5J, ET38.

you may have missed it.
I wrote in another post, the disc size is 8.5J, ET38.
Ah sorry, I thought you were using OEM wheels - I didnt make the link between disc/wheel etc.

Yes 265 is a good size for comfort on an 8.5J wheel, although I ran 235 on 8.5J wheels before :)

ET38 is interesting, do they clear the callipers ok and do not push out past the arch? its only 7mm over the standard ET45, so probably looks better as the OEM wheels are definitely too sunken in the arch.

1,081 - 1,100 of 2,195 Posts