Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CX-60 Refueling with Petrol Stops frequently when fuel tank is not full.

Some CX-60 owners may complain that refueling stops frequently at petrol station and can be difficult to completely fill the fuel tank.

The Cause...
Due to improper control logic, the Valve to Release Air in the Fuel Tank while refueling may not open.
As a result, the filler pipe is filled with fuel frequently causing a supply shut off.

There are no defective parts, just a Software Update via MDARS @ your local Mazda Dealer.

MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE
Control software of the PCM has been modified in production from July 29th 2022.
So if your CX-60 is made after this date then the updated Software is already applied.

I suggest you tell your Mazda Dealer that you are having issues refilling your fuel tank as the pump clicks off like normal when the Fuel Tank is filled, however your are experiencing an issue where the Tank is not physically filling normally to a full Fuel Tank.

Then mention you understand there is a Software Update or Recalibration to rectify this problem via their MDARS, and tell them to refer to Mazda Bulletin TSB NUMBER: R114/22. if they don't know of any repair order details.

· Registered
30 Posts
CX-60 Refueling with Petrol Stops frequently when fuel tank is not full.

Some CX-60 owners may complain that refueling stops frequently at petrol station and can be difficult to completely fill the fuel tank.

The Cause...
Due to improper control logic, the Valve to Release Air in the Fuel Tank while refueling may not open.
As a result, the filler pipe is filled with fuel frequently causing a supply shut off.

There are no defective parts, just a Software Update via MDARS @ your local Mazda Dealer.

MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE
Control software of the PCM has been modified in production from July 29th 2022.
So if your CX-60 is made after this date then the updated Software is already applied.

I suggest you tell your Mazda Dealer that you are having issues refilling your fuel tank as the pump clicks off like normal when the Fuel Tank is filled, however your are experiencing an issue where the Tank is not physically filling normally to a full Fuel Tank.

Then mention you understand there is a Software Update or Recalibration to rectify this problem via their MDARS, and tell them to refer to Mazda Bulletin TSB NUMBER: R114/22. if they don't know of any repair order details.
Yesterday, I got to try and refuel, the 2nd time after the updated was made. The needle was bellow middle. I was aiming to refuel for 25+ liters. At the end it only fueled with 23 liters, the pump clicked. I tried one more time and added 0.75 liters and the fuel jumped out. Stopped with a total of 23.75 liters. When I started the car the needle was at around 90%.

The problem is still present! Check images below!
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Automotive design Motor vehicle

Speedometer Gauge Trip computer Tachometer Measuring instrument

· Registered
5 Posts
Think I have the same problem.. Very low range on petrol (400-500km) after refueling and able to put max 35 liters in the tank each time (sometimes 40 liters when I disregards low fuel warnings).
Made the complaint to the dealer yesterday, together with the other common issues.
My CX60 is delivered end of September 2022 at the dealer, so it might be an "early" produced car with this problem. Don't know how long it takes to bring the car from Japan to Europe by boat.

· Registered
21 Posts
Think I have the same problem.. Very low range on petrol (400-500km) after refueling and able to put max 35 liters in the tank each time (sometimes 40 liters when I disregards low fuel warnings).
Made the complaint to the dealer yesterday, together with the other common issues.
My CX60 is delivered end of September 2022 at the dealer, so it might be an "early" produced car with this problem. Don't know how long it takes to bring the car from Japan to Europe by boat.
My dealer said 2 months from build to delivery. I'm collecting my car on Saturday and it was built in early November.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have fuel missing??, any tank can only hold the capacity it can hold, as far as I can see it is the readout not capacity, I am certain given time it will be sorted. As soon as I hear anymore I will post.

Frankly I don't have any faith in legacy Mazda Dealers or any other old dealership of older car brands as so many still have old school mechanics or techs who are not computer savvy or just lazy to check for car systems updates.

As far as I am concerned every Mazda new Generation car made from BP Mazda 3, CX-60 Must have all systems checked by MDARS as part of normal scheduled servicing so any module updates are automatically checked and updated if needed.
Not the current wait for an owner complaint of a problem and then check MDARS ( Mazda Dealer Diagnostic Software).

Preventative maintenance should always be normal, not reactionary.

Until MME, MMUK and every Distributor worldwide insists that every car in for service is automatically checked for Diagnostic Updates with MDARS by their Dealer Network, instead of this wait and see.

Plugging car in to MDARS should be the first task any mechanic should do.

You have to take the Dealership word for it that updates were done or checked and not a brush off by Service Advisor.

· Registered
14 Posts
If I take the time I can fill up 100% but the fuel dispenser will shut off 10 times at least. Even if I fill very slowly. I can't do that if someone else is waiting to use the pump and neither I want to inhale gasoline fumes and is not friendly to the environment. The gauge seems consistent with the content in the tank. Anyway I have the luck I drive more than 80 % in electric and frequent refuelling happens only on longer trips.

· Registered
5 Posts
If I take the time I can fill up 100% but the fuel dispenser will shut off 10 times at least. Even if I fill very slowly. I can't do that if someone else is waiting to use the pump and neither I want to inhale gasoline fumes and is not friendly to the environment. The gauge seems consistent with the content in the tank. Anyway I have the luck I drive more than 80 % in electric and frequent refuelling happens only on longer trips.
That is exactly the problem I also encountered this week. The tank was almost empty (range below 100km). I opened the fuel cap, but the gas pump didn't work. I moved the car to another pump at the same gas station and I couldn't fill the almost empty tank.... fuel dispenser was shutting of each time and only at a realy slow rate I managed to get 10 liters in the tank. I was in a hurry, so I didn't tried to fill up the tank this way. Next day I could fill the tank with 35 liters on "normal" speed and after that it seemed full. The CX60 is going to the dealer on 9 and 10 Februari and this issue is on their list together with the other issues (shock absorbers, gear shifting...).

· Registered
14 Posts
That is exactly the problem I also encountered this week. The tank was almost empty (range below 100km). I opened the fuel cap, but the gas pump didn't work. I moved the car to another pump at the same gas station and I couldn't fill the almost empty tank.... fuel dispenser was shutting of each time and only at a realy slow rate I managed to get 10 liters in the tank. I was in a hurry, so I didn't tried to fill up the tank this way. Next day I could fill the tank with 35 liters on "normal" speed and after that it seemed full. The CX60 is going to the dealer on 9 and 10 Februari and this issue is on their list together with the other issues (shock absorbers, gear shifting...).
Is exactly as mine. By the way what is the issue with the shock absorbers? I find the ride very uncomfortable on bumpy roads and the way it runs into pot holes.

· Registered
5 Posts
The bumpy ride issues can be found here on the forum. Shock absorbers will be replaced for some (earlier) build CX60's and some adjustments to anti roll bars.

My CX60 was delivered with tire pressure 3,1 bar which is too high. Lowered it to 2,6 bar front and rear (according to the manual I didn't read) and got already an improved ride......;-)

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Paulus, My car was produced in July 2022 so I hope the shock absorbers are okay. I also had to lower the tire pressure according to the label on the car. I only have the refuelling issue, however I refuel once or twice a month. I hope they will correct the refuelling. I found the information that the RAV 4 PHEV had the same issue and there was a class action sue that obliged Toyota to redesign the tank and reposition certain components to solve the issue. I hope this is not a similar issue.

· Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Paulus, My car was produced in July 2022 so I hope the shock absorbers are okay. I also had to lower the tire pressure according to the label on the car. I only have the refuelling issue, however I refuel once or twice a month. I hope they will correct the refuelling. I found the information that the RAV 4 PHEV had the same issue and there was a class action sue that obliged Toyota to redesign the tank and reposition certain components to solve the issue. I hope this is not a similar issue.
Hello Rodolfo, noticed you are from Portugal too.
I’m having some similar situations to yours with my car stoping the fuel nozzle when it has much capacity left in the tank.
Today I was able to fuel 8 liters more after it stoped for the first time. It took some patience but managed to do it.
Although I managed to put all this fuel in, assuming I must have close to the full capacity of 50 liters, and having a 3/4 of the battery charged, I only have 380 km of combined range showing on the dash. This is strange to me because since I bought it I never saw more than 400km. This happens to you?

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi mr. Silva? The car should drive around 700 km if fully charged and with full tank. The numbers on the dashboard are wrong. I use 7,5 L per 100 km and normally I also manage around 59 kimono pure electric. There is a technical bulletin from Mazda that mentions the issue. My car is in the VIN range that had this problem. In Mazda Faro they told me that they updated the software but it wouldn't help but I am not sure if they really did the procedure. I was thinking to check on another dealer to check it out. I will enclose the Technical Bulletin. Let me know if you managed to get it fixed.

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi mr. Silva? The car should drive around 700 km if fully charged and with full tank. The numbers on the dashboard are wrong. I use 7,5 L per 100 km and normally I also manage around 59 kimono pure electric. There is a technical bulletin from Mazda that mentions the issue. My car is in the VIN range that had this problem. In Mazda Faro they told me that they updated the software but it wouldn't help but I am not sure if they really did the procedure. I was thinking to check on another dealer to check it out. I will enclose the Technical Bulletin. Let me know if you managed to get it fixed.
Thanks for the quick response Mr. Rodolfo.
And indeed my VIN number is within the scope of this Technicall Buletin. I’ll contact the dealer and see what they have to say.
Just to make sure I understand, your car shows the correct 700km on the dashboard or you have wrong numbers like I do?
According to a previous call I made to the sales rep who sold me the car, one way of going around and fixing the wrong numbers on the dash would be to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes under the hood and when reconnecting it would “forget” the wrong data that previously assumed…

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Mr. Rodolfo.
And indeed my VIN number is within the scope of this Technicall Buletin. I’ll contact the dealer and see what they have to say.
Just to make sure I understand, your car shows the correct 700km on the dashboard or you have wrong numbers like I do?
According to a previous call I made to the sales rep who sold me the car, one way of going around and fixing the wrong numbers on the dash would be to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes under the hood and when reconnecting it would “forget” the wrong data that previously assumed…
The 700 km+ come from multiplying 13,3 km with one litre X 50 and adding the electrical range. The 13,3 km/l I have achieved on a longer trip filling the tank before leaving and after 600 km I refuelled it to the top with a lot of patience and the car had used 40,5 Lts + one battery (59km). This is in line with data I had from a Mazda dealer in Germany. The dashboard figures always show a lower autonomy on gas on my car. I distrust the dashboard numbers completely but would like to fill the tank as in a normal car. Cheers and keep me posted. I love the car even with its imperfections.

· Registered
9 Posts
The 700 km+ come from multiplying 13,3 km with one litre X 50 and adding the electrical range. The 13,3 km/l I have achieved on a longer trip filling the tank before leaving and after 600 km I refuelled it to the top with a lot of patience and the car had used 40,5 Lts + one battery (59km). This is in line with data I had from a Mazda dealer in Germany. The dashboard figures always show a lower autonomy on gas on my car. I distrust the dashboard numbers completely but would like to fill the tank as in a normal car. Cheers and keep me posted. I love the car even with its imperfections.
Same here but would really like to go to the gas station and not spend 10-15 minutes to completely fill the tank :) Let's see if indeed they solve this problem and I'll let you know. One last question is: is there a website where we can get this Service Bulletins so I can keep an eye for possible problems I also might have and what the fix is? I imagine there isn't such place and you had this delivered to you by the dealer but let me know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts