Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
CX-60 Exclusive
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to get this working.

I wanted to backup my SD Nav card in case of emergencies and the application doesn't recognise the card.

After several emails round various differing support agencies for both Mazda and Naviextras (the make the Update Toolbox app) I've been informed thatcher's no way to backup the card and it's been suggested not to take the card out for safety.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
Has anyone managed to get this working.

I wanted to backup my SD Nav card in case of emergencies and the application doesn't recognise the card.

After several emails round various differing support agencies for both Mazda and Naviextras (the make the Update Toolbox app) I've been informed thatcher's no way to backup the card and it's been suggested not to take the card out for safety.
I figure its so that the MAPs database can't be copied and used in vehicles without Satnav (I dont know about other Mazda ranges, but maybe Satnav was an option in some?).

Might be worth chatting to some of those 'cracked sat nav' places as it may take a software whizz to be able to make it happen for you if there are no official ways of doing it.

I tried once with an Audi Maps/Satnav SD card, never succeeded after much hair pulling.

· Registered
CX-60 Exclusive
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can gather the software is linked to the CID (a unique identifier for the SD card - What is SD card CID number? - ZELEMAR electronicshttps://zelemar.eu › what-is-sd-card-cid-number)

Despite hacking around with a hex editor in the likely files I couldn't find where it was stored.

The backup is meant to be located on your had disk and can only be restored by the Update Toolbox software as well which will write the magic to a new card. This is the bit that prevents ripping off I think.

When I spoke to Naviextras support (they make the Update Toolbox) they asked me to send the the contents of the licence folder. When I told them there wasn't a licence folder on the card they said they couldn't help me and to contact Mazda - It looks like Mazda are using a new system and will need a new toolbox to resolve the issue.

· Registered
64 Posts
From what I can gather the software is linked to the CID (a unique identifier for the SD card - What is SD card CID number? - ZELEMAR electronicshttps://zelemar.eu › what-is-sd-card-cid-number)

Despite hacking around with a hex editor in the likely files I couldn't find where it was stored.

The backup is meant to be located on your had disk and can only be restored by the Update Toolbox software as well which will write the magic to a new card. This is the bit that prevents ripping off I think.

When I spoke to Naviextras support (they make the Update Toolbox) they asked me to send the the contents of the licence folder. When I told them there wasn't a licence folder on the card they said they couldn't help me and to contact Mazda - It looks like Mazda are using a new system and will need a new toolbox to resolve the issue.
Mazda has (for now) managed to get rid of the freebies, and should they succeed in
circumventing copyright, a report will be sent to Mazda OTA with the VIN.;)

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
Mazda has (for now) managed to get rid of the freebies, and should they succeed in
circumventing copyright, a report will be sent to Mazda OTA with the VIN.;)
Wouldnt matter, you own the SD card, not Mazda, you bought it. You are allowed to copy owned media for personal storage use.

I highly doubt Mazda will give too hoots either tbh.

· Registered
64 Posts
Wouldnt matter, you own the SD card, not Mazda, you bought it. You are allowed to copy owned media for personal storage use.

I highly doubt Mazda will give too hoots either tbh.
It is correct that you have purchased the right to use the original card incl. backup in Toolbox, but not to copy and get free updates on copy cards, like for example Mazda connected services which you only have 3 years of free use, after that there is a subscription if you want to use the app.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
It is correct that you have purchased the right to use the original card but not to copy and get free updates on copy cards, like for example Mazda connected services which you only have 3 years of free use, after that there is a subscription if you want to use the app.

As I said, you are allowed to copy purchased copyrighted media for your own storage/backup purposes, which is what the OP is wanting to do.

There has been no mention of free updates or the requirement of such or the use of Mazda Connected Services.

However, there will be a crack for that if that time comes, there always is. I've never paid for map updates in my life, and I've always had fully up to date maps, however its largely irrelevant now with Carplay etc. Who actually uses on board satnav these days?

· Registered
CX-60 Exclusive
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can copy all you want, but backup can only be restored by the Update Toolbox software, therefore storage/backup purposes other than Toolbox is pointless.
I’m pretty adept with IT. I’ve not been able to make a viable copy, even using a bit copy of the original. As I mentioned, the CID is encoded in there somewhere. If I could find where I could use a hex edit tool to encode the CID of the new card into the software.

I’m guessing that’s what the Toolbox would do if it was up to date with the latest copy protection methods. But it’s not.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
You can copy all you want, but backup can only be restored by the Update Toolbox software, therefore storage/backup purposes other than Toolbox is pointless.
But you didn't say that to the OP initially? I'm pretty sure any of this software is hackable by the right person if there is enough incentive for them to figure it out.

I remember the days the Audi MIB units were the bone of contention because Audi was charging £300 for map updates..and then someone learnt how to hack them. Free updates for life for £50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts