Mazda CX-70 Forum banner

Mazda rear camera cleaner

513 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Gajdzin
Yesterday I installed the original Mazda rear camera cleaner. Or more like: blower, it's just a system blowing compressed air at a camera every time you throw in the reverse. It is meant for the Japanese market only, but I can confirm it works in European models as well :) The installation does involve some drilling and connecting wires inside the rear door, so unless you are a DIY guru, best left to a garage. I have the full scan of the installation manual (in Japanese) and happy to share if anyone needs. I don't have a translation, though, I translated it in real time for the mechanic who was doing the install.
The accessory can be ordered from several Japanese online stores, e.g. Nengun. You need both parts, the camera cleaner (C900 V6 560A) and the wiring kit (K31V V6 565). Or, if somebody can buy it for you in Japan from any Mazda dealer, it's quite small and light and can fit into cabin luggage.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive exterior

Watch Product Wood Material property Audio equipment

Ac adapter Gadget Audio equipment Computer hardware Eyewear

If any questions, happy to answer :)
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
@Gajdzin Thanks for sharing. Have you tried pouring water on the back window to see if it actually works to keep the camera usable?
@Southeastern FYI
Or more like: blower, it's just a system blowing compressed air at a camera every time you throw in the reverse.
Thanks @Gajdzin for sharing. This does look interesting.
Problem I have is that the camera is more dirty than wet. I do believe it is like you said blower when its wet, but for sure it does sounds interesting and I will keep my eye on it.
@Gajdzin Thanks for sharing. Have you tried pouring water on the back window to see if it actually works to keep the camera usable?
@Southeastern FYI
Yes, I squirted some and it works perfectly. Although I have to admit the water drops did not stick to the lens and make it all blurry like what I always experienced after driving in the rain in my last car, Mazda 6 GJ. I see 2 possible reasons for this: either they improved the camera lens shape or coating, or squiring some crystal clear water on a lens of a freshly washed car is not the same as real driving in the rain - the time will show, for now the weather is all sunny here.
Thanks @Gajdzin for sharing. This does look interesting.
Problem I have is that the camera is more dirty than wet. I do believe it is like you said blower when its wet, but for sure it does sounds interesting and I will keep my eye on it.
That is indeed Mazda's thinking and that's why they have not introduced this gizmo outside Japan - I got the importer's formal reply that the road conditions are different in Europe than over there. Which I find laughable, because I've lived in Japan for 10 years and drove all over the country, and believe me, there are plenty of dusty and muddy roads there as well. And salt in winter, too. But in my experience of driving Mazda 6 since 2013 until last month, I rarely had a dirty rear camera, more often just splashed with water after the rain, making the picture a blurry blob. I often was my car, too, not allowing any dust/dirt build-up on the lens.
Yes, I squirted some and it works perfectly. Although I have to admit the water drops did not stick to the lens and make it all blurry like what I always experienced after driving in the rain in my last car, Mazda 6 GJ. I see 2 possible reasons for this: either they improved the camera lens shape or coating, or squiring some crystal clear water on a lens of a freshly washed car is not the same as real driving in the rain - the time will show, for now the weather is all sunny here.
You could try a ceramic style coating on the lens cover too which will help matters. I had my camera done when the ceramics were done, and it was much better than the PHEV which didnt have the ceramics done in the rain.

I think the combination of the two would be ideal.

One day Ill get to fit mine when it finally turns up!
Reactions: 1
You could try a ceramic style coating on the lens cover too which will help matters. I had my camera done when the ceramics were done, and it was much better than the PHEV which didnt have the ceramics done in the rain.
ideal.
Thank you ery much for the suggestion! I'm just about to have side and rear windows done in ceramic, I'll add the camera lens to the request.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts