Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to get views on smoothness of transition between ev and petrol engine. Alot of negative comments on performance in that regard. Is that something mazda are addressing in production ?

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
I dont feel or notice too much of an issue tbh, I was surprised myself as I read the reviews to. Mine is a September 2022 car. My main annoyances are with the drivetrain and how the ev mode operates.

The initial low speed gearing can be jerky - it's not acceptable on a £50k motor.

The 'Normal' driving mode will use EV only in town driving till it gets to around 1/4% then go into Hybrid mode. This is a royal PITA as it basically drains its battery in 20 miles and then goes into Hybrid mode. With the price of electricity and the majority of on street chargers although claimed to be 7kw are actually less than half that thus impacting the charge speed massively, its just really expensive and/or inconvenient. At approx 40p pkwh and the car getting around 20 real world miles on EV, its more expensive than petrol and you have to wait 3-5 hours on some charges for that expensive privilege.

I would rather there be an option to be permanent hybrid mode (without using Sport mode and having to have a Red christmas tree dash and rev counter) OR to set at what point Hybrid mode starts, say 50% of battery etc.

· Registered
30 Posts
I dont feel or notice too much of an issue tbh, I was surprised myself as I read the reviews to. Mine is a September 2022 car. My main annoyances are with the drivetrain and how the ev mode operates.

The initial low speed gearing can be jerky - it's not acceptable on a £50k motor.

The 'Normal' driving mode will use EV only in town driving till it gets to around 1/4% then go into Hybrid mode. This is a royal PITA as it basically drains its battery in 20 miles and then goes into Hybrid mode. With the price of electricity and the majority of on street chargers although claimed to be 7kw are actually less than half that thus impacting the charge speed massively, its just really expensive and/or inconvenient. At approx 40p pkwh and the car getting around 20 real world miles on EV, its more expensive than petrol and you have to wait 3-5 hours on some charges for that expensive privilege.

I would rather there be an option to be permanent hybrid mode (without using Sport mode and having to have a Red christmas tree dash and rev counter) OR to set at what point Hybrid mode starts, say 50% of battery etc.
...isn't that just Normal plus activating the charge target as 50%? The car will always use some battery e.g. if you put your foot down - but in the main if it's hovering around that level I'd guess you wouldn't notice much charging intrusion.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
...isn't that just Normal plus activating the charge target as 50%? The car will always use some battery e.g. if you put your foot down - but in the main if it's hovering around that level I'd guess you wouldn't notice much charging intrusion.
Thanks for the reply, but I am not entirely sure what you mean in reference to what I wrote.

I don't want my car to drain its 75% of its battery in 20 miles and then run Hybrid mode for the last 20-25% meaning the real world range of Hybrid is far less than it could have been. It I can choose Hybird from the start, the battery will last much longer and thus increase my mpg and lessen the need for recharges.

I may misunderstand everything entirely, so that is also entirely possible!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't you set the battery level you want to preserve. To get full value of ev should you be looking to drain battery to a low level knowing car will retain some but worse case you end up using petrol until battery recharged? I get unlikely car with get the 63km on ev but even in winter with everything people are getting 40km on ev.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
Sorry, I didn't think it was that hard :). Just to be clear though, do you know you can select to maintain a state of charge at whatever % you choose (between 20% and 100%)?
Neither did I :p

My charge target is set at 100%. Is this not correct? its where the dealer put it.

Can't you set the battery level you want to preserve. To get full value of ev should you be looking to drain battery to a low level knowing car will retain some but worse case you end up using petrol until battery recharged? I get unlikely car with get the 63km on ev but even in winter with everything people are getting 40km on ev.
As I've said, it runs on EV till 25% empty, then slowly creeps down from then on. If it could slowly creep down from 100% it would be much more preferred as right now I am spending more on fuel doing short local trips than I ever have before, and if I was paying for the EV charge from a street meter, it would be costing even more (they charge around 40-50p per kwh, thankfully I found a slow free charger relatively local) and it sucks.

· Registered
30 Posts
Exactly, having the car work in low battery / normal hybrid mode doesn't really get you more range. You saved a load of petrol while it was using up the battery. Who is to say which is more efficient on its own? That depends on the driving profile mostly. But as you can choose to maintain whatever level of battery you want you can make that decision yourself for your own circumstances.

· Registered
30 Posts
Neither did I :p

My charge target is set at 100%. Is this not correct? its where the dealer put it.

As I've said, it runs on EV till 25% empty, then slowly creeps down from then on. If it could slowly creep down from 100% it would be much more preferred as right now I am spending more on fuel doing basic local trips than I ever have before, and it sucks.
The charge target is probably the external charger target. There is button next to your gear stick where you can turn on in-car charging and set a different % :). You have to engage this manually if you use it. Fortunately it's right there and takes about 1 second ;)

· Registered
30 Posts
One more thing as you mention local trips - this is exactly where EV shines so I agree. I'm happy to use it when pootling around, and sometimes I choose to 'force' ICE mode on faster/longer journeys to avoid using EV. The button is the way to do that.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
Exactly, having the car work in low battery / normal hybrid mode doesn't really get you more range. You saved a load of petrol while it was using up the battery. Who is to say which is more efficient on its own? That depends on the driving profile mostly. But as you can choose to maintain whatever level of battery you want you can make that decision yourself for your own circumstances.
Im not interested in range, I am interested in mpg.

I didnt save much when using EV mode, actually its almost more expensive. 20-25 EV charge range is less than a gallon of petrol im mpg terms. It costs around £8 in leccy for that 20-25 miles from a street charger (and not that much less if I had one at home as I would be charged 37pkwh anyway), and with petrol it costs £7.50 , working on say 30-35mpg, petrol is more economical.

The charge target is probably the external charger target. There is button next to your gear stick where you can turn on in-car charging and set a different % :). You have to engage this manually if you use it. Fortunately it's right there and takes about 1 second ;)
Does this mean as soon as its charged, I hit this button and it will maintain the battery charge at the level I ask it to? How will this affect mpg though? surely that would use more petrol?

One more thing as you mention local trips - this is exactly where EV shines so I agree. I'm happy to use it when pootling around, and sometimes I choose to 'force' ICE mode on faster/longer journeys to avoid using EV. The button is the way to do that.
I love EV mode personally, but the whole car park charging wait a few times a week is getting ridiculous. This isn't how I was sold the car by the dealer.

· Registered
30 Posts
Well mpg is off the charts when you're using EV obviously - but the car still factors that in on the long term average. So if you use up all the EV range, then you operate as a standard hybrid you'll still see EV mode kick in at lower speeds and therefore be helping your mpg. That's just how hybrids work. Don't expect miracles though - non-PHEV hybrids do not lug around 175KG of battery - if you want that experience you should have bought a normal hybrid?

A PHEV needs to be charged to obtain maximum efficiency. Obviously while electricity prices are high that value isn't really there. MPG will still probably be better than pure petrol, but not as good as if it had a smaller battery. And the cost to your wallet between EV and petrol use isn't so different.

The charge button is primarily to raise the battery % while driving if you know you're going to be heading into an urban environment where EV running would be preferable. Yes it isn't free and mpg may suffer while using it, especially if you have a large gap betwen current and target %. But if you want to save your battery for urban use then of course you could set the target just below the current state of charge - maintaining a level would be less costly than charging up to a level.

· Registered
Homura
264 Posts
Well mpg is off the charts when you're using EV obviously - but the car still factors that in on the long term average. So if you use up all the EV range, then you operate as a standard hybrid you'll still see EV mode kick in at lower speeds and therefore be helping your mpg. That's just how hybrids work. Don't expect miracles though - non-PHEV hybrids do not lug around 175KG of battery - if you want that experience you should have bought a normal hybrid?

A PHEV needs to be charged to obtain maximum efficiency. Obviously while electricity prices are high that value isn't really there. MPG will still probably be better than pure petrol, but not as good as if it had a smaller battery. And the cost to your wallet between EV and petrol use isn't so different.

The charge button is primarily to raise the battery % while driving if you know you're going to be heading into an urban environment where EV running would be preferable. Yes it isn't free and mpg may suffer while using it, especially if you have a large gap betwen current and target %. But if you want to save your battery for urban use then of course you could set the target just below the current state of charge - maintaining a level would be less costly than charging up to a level.
Yes, I understand. I said in my post, if it would use full hybrid mode earlier on , then I wouldn't have any issues, so I guess thats how a full hybrid would work? Tbh, this is how the dealer told me the car would operate, hence why I had expectations that cannot be a reality from what you've said.

I am probably going to have to get rid of it and take the hit or see what can be done in trading it for the Diesel engine variant now they have been released. I have to factor in the potentially £5-10k I will lose and how long it will take me to reclaim that using the diesel and taking into account how much it is costing me to run now, which is the most expensive car I have ever owned to run - its 'power' costs are comparable to one of my previous vehicles, a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R, which is simply ridiculous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts