Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 824 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Last words from me on EV range: Today a shorter highspeed section before going onto country roads and went almost 25 miles (with heated seats, wheel and backscreen all on) was down to 5mile range and about 15% battery before EV gave up.
Conclusion: Car has an algorithm that uses speed (=load on battery) when decided to go ICE.
P.S: .At 3 bar (43 psi) it's like driving on rocks on 20" wheels and I wouldn't fancy braking on wet UK roads with the reduced contact area, and you'd get poor wear characteristics. But whatever suits you best. (y)

· Registered
32 Posts
Apparently, the mileage on battery is something which could be tweaked.
The only missing part is the ability to do it ourselves.

Look at the newly announced spec of Australian CX-60 PHEV:

"The plug-in hybrid combines a 2.5-litre non-turbo four-cylinder petrol engine with a 100kW electric motor, 17.8kWh battery and eight-speed auto, for combined outputs of 241kW and 500Nm – more than any previous road car in the company's history.
Mazda claims up to 76km of electric driving range at speeds up to 100km/h (in lenient Australian testing), a fuel use claim of 2.1L/100km, and a 0-100km/h acceleration time of 5.9 seconds.
It can be charged from empty to full in 2.5 hours on a 7.2kW AC home wallbox, Mazda says. It requires 95-octane premium unleaded – compared to the six-cylinder petrol engine, which can run on 91RON petrol."

The same battery, different outcome.

Source:
2023 Mazda CX-60 price and specs

· Registered
30 Posts
No, that's not saying it can be tweaked - it is the outcome of official testing for that locale - the text even quotes it... "(in lenient Australian testing)" - suggesting the test profile for the official Australian standard test - is not as demanding as e.g. WLTP.

· Registered
66 Posts
OK CX-60 Owners there is a Firmware Update for Mazda Connect for all of Europe and UK.
EU07 Version 14012

I can not tell you the changelog (Mazda does not always release).

If you wish to update yourself you Must Message me and I will provide you with a Download link and easy .Pdf install instructions, the file is just over 1.08 GB in size.
Info stolen somewhere 😎

Here is the changelog with 14012 Mazda Connect Firmware update...
SYMPTOMS
The following symptoms can be solved or changes have been made by the latest software (Ver. 7000C0A-EU07_14012).
(Ver. 7000C0A-EU07_14012)
Pressing the mute button may not pause music playback.
Mazda Connect may restart.

CarPlay wireless connection may not be possible to switch to Bluetooth® connection.

When using CarPlay navigation, the remaining distance to the next right or left turn point displayed in ADD (Active Driving Display) may not change.

CarPlay wireless connection may fail.

When switching Driver IDs, the speech recognition language may not be switched.

When deleting Driver ID from Personalization System, the language setting becomes English.

After removing and reinstalling the battery, the customization setting value may change.

"For iOS 15,
When CarPlay receives a call while the display is off, the ringtone and the sound of CarPlay Music may overlap.
Cannot pick up the CarPlay phone calls with steering wheel switch.
Navigation may freeze.
The system may reboot every 20 seconds.

NOTE:
  • iPod, iPhone, and Apple CarPlay are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
  • Android and Android Auto are registered trademarks of Google LLC.
  • The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hello CX60 users. Brand new one here, sofar 600km, tryig all the features. Truth is there is sooo many variables, driving modes, active accessories, it is difficult to caclulate the consumption of both, electricity and petrol in a stable way. Probably things like charging phone, headlights, wheel heater makes huge difference too. Happy with the car sofar, noticed some minor suspension issue and the shifting is not perfect, but I knew this ahead from test drive. Infotainment is not super stabile neither, does not read my phonebook names (Android auto does, Mazda infotainment not), and occassionally disconnects.

I go a different way than most on range approach, I look for the most stable power/distance way to use the PHEV, basicaly more like a regular HEV, car is used for large distances 400-800km trips. Tried the NORMAL mode, but the battery drais rather quick in the early stage, leaving me for major of the trip without battery. Turning ON the fuel power recharde works to some point keeping my battery charged about 70% all the way (based on setup value), but the consumption is rather high (probably cause using petrol recharge) and recharging rate is unstable (sometimes quick sometimes slow). If I go savy, I go about 6-7 liters suburban, highway at 130km/h results in 9+ liters/100km. Might try to use the SPORT mode too. But she's almost virging, I am sure the economy will drop with some break in period. Any suggestions for economy long trips?

· Registered
78 Posts
Battery is only going to be good for a small part of a long trip no matter what you do. I largely ignore the car figures for consumption, they seem based on some weird algorithm, also predicted range ,which is wildly pessimistic.
My charge point tells what power I've put in the battery (and the cost), and so I put petrol in I do a calculation based on total cost per mile and convert that to equivalent MPG. Ove 2000 miles of mixed motoring I have averaged 54MPG.
Short trips will obviously put the percentage of EV running up and the cost per mile will drop.

· Registered
4 Posts
That's interesting, many others (including me) are seeing EV range drop to zero at about 20% on the gauge. Possibly some different version of code - is your car a recent one - got mine end of October.
Mine also now falling to 25% battery in the colder weather, with a few miles left. I get the message EV mode cancelled. I collected my car in September when the weather was warm (UK Midlands) and the battery was then falling to about 2% with a couple of miles left. The Dealer said it is temperature related as were also using more accessories, adding that his demo CX-60 is also behaving like this.

· Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

Just joined and read the interesting thread so far! We picked up our CX-60 at the end of Oct all seemed to be well but we've since had a recall for the suspension (torque bolts) and I also am complaining about the EV range. We are going back in in Jan for a S/W update so I am guessing this is the ICE update, I'll nip out in a minute and check our version, the main symptom we have is the radio de-tunes and you have to de-select and re-select the source each time you get into the car. In terms of EV range in the first few hundred miles we were nicely pushing above 80mpg but then after a long run it dropped ( as expected as I used fuel ) but over the next few hundred its not climbed back up even though we've been mainly on EV. I have reset all the stats and full charged the car and it's telling me that the EV range is 20 miles, this is nowhere near the 39.15 miles promised. Surely if you reset all the stats it should give you the optimistic value of full range and then adjust it based on the current drive. Also has anyone successfully locked the car with the App or remotely turned on the Climate control I always get a failed message!

· Registered
13 Posts
That's interesting, many others (including me) are seeing EV range drop to zero at about 20% on the gauge. Possibly some different version of code - is your car a recent one - got mine end of October.
@Maz-Fan So ours drops out of EV with 3 bars on the charge meter, but it wasn't doing that over the first few hundred miles it would drop to pretty much empty before it would do that. We also picked ours up at the the end of Oct. As I've said in my longer post the car is currently fully charged but only offering 20 miles on EV nowhere near 39.15! I've also noticed that we charged it 2 days ago and have not used it since and it originally said 22 miles so something is also draining / effecting the range, possibly the cold weather.

· Registered
32 Posts
Also has anyone successfully locked the car with the App or remotely turned on the Climate control I always get a failed message!
I managed to remotely (Android) activate the heating of the cabin several times (the charging cord was connected). In fact, it never failed for me.

Mazda Owner's Manual states several preconditions, though.
Notably, one which is not listed there (but I noted it affects several other possibly related settings) is the GPS coverage. I don't know how important it is in this case.

Excerpt from manual when remote Air Conditioning operations will fail:

The high voltage battery or the lead-acid battery charge is low.
The doors/liftgate are open.
The vehicle power is switched to a position other than OFF.
There is a problem with the vehicle.
If any of the following conditions is met, the air-conditioning system will not operate effectively and the cabin temperature may not reach the set temperature.
Your power consumption is high.
Extremely high or low temperatures.
The air-conditioning system operates so that it reaches the set temperature at the departure time, and stops at the departure time. The cabin temperature may not reach the set temperature if you get in the vehicle earlier or later than the set departure time.
If you operate the cabin preconditioning while charging the vehicle, it could take more time to charge the battery. In addition, when it is extremely hot or cold, the power consumption of the air-conditioning system is high, therefore the charge amount may be less than the preset charge amount.

· Registered
30 Posts
@Maz-Fan So ours drops out of EV with 3 bars on the charge meter, but it wasn't doing that over the first few hundred miles it would drop to pretty much empty before it would do that. We also picked ours up at the the end of Oct. As I've said in my longer post the car is currently fully charged but only offering 20 miles on EV nowhere near 39.15! I've also noticed that we charged it 2 days ago and have not used it since and it originally said 22 miles so something is also draining / effecting the range, possibly the cold weather.

UPDATE

At 7400km at my dealership, after complaining and complaining and complaining, finally, they hold the car for half a day. My range was dropping and in the last 7 days i managed to have it at 27-29km at 100% and could do only 20-25km.

They didn't find anything, but after they reset the 12v battery, meaning, they removed the cables and connected back again, they went on a test trip and although it showed 29km at 100% they managed 43km at 0 degrees Celsius. I got the car from the dealership in the evening at 66% and it showed 29km of range. Got back at the house charged to 100% and it showed 52km. In the first 600m the range dropped to 48km and managed to drive it around 34km.

This morning at 100% it showed 48km and managed to do 33km.

While the 12v battery unplug reset some data, I think in about 5-10 days I will start again to see a drop in range.

They have some weird algorithm for calculating range that doesn't know to reset for every trip.

I am scheduled for shock absorbers change, all 4, bolts, and, rear sway bar, a week ago they did the recall on the torque bolts.

The noise that I am hearing in the transmission box, for that they don't have a solution. I will file for a reasonable amount of time for repair, if they don't/are not able to provide a timeframe, I am going for the change of the car or money back.

For me it seems that the lack of response, issues, range, transmission, shock absorbers are too much for a car that should have been new.

I will not go every 5 weeks to reset the 12v battery, so I can have a normal range. 45 real km from 65km is a normal range it's 70% at -5-0 Celsius. If they say otherwise then that's a marketing bullshit and the car is not worth it.

As I write the car charged to 100% and it shows a range of 44km. As I said above, I will arrive from where I started 30km and 20-25km range. This means they have some big consumers, and per-heating the car it's just a bullshit excuse.

For everyone that purchased the car for EV range, including me, don't you feel deceived? I do.

· Registered
13 Posts
UPDATE

At 7400km at my dealership, after complaining and complaining and complaining, finally, they hold the car for half a day. My range was dropping and in the last 7 days i managed to have it at 27-29km at 100% and could do only 20-25km.

They didn't find anything, but after they reset the 12v battery, meaning, they removed the cables and connected back again, they went on a test trip and although it showed 29km at 100% they managed 43km at 0 degrees Celsius. I got the car from the dealership in the evening at 66% and it showed 29km of range. Got back at the house charged to 100% and it showed 52km. In the first 600m the range dropped to 48km and managed to drive it around 34km.

This morning at 100% it showed 48km and managed to do 33km.

While the 12v battery unplug reset some data, I think in about 5-10 days I will start again to see a drop in range.

They have some weird algorithm for calculating range that doesn't know to reset for every trip.

I am scheduled for shock absorbers change, all 4, bolts, and, rear sway bar, a week ago they did the recall on the torque bolts.

The noise that I am hearing in the transmission box, for that they don't have a solution. I will file for a reasonable amount of time for repair, if they don't/are not able to provide a timeframe, I am going for the change of the car or money back.

For me it seems that the lack of response, issues, range, transmission, shock absorbers are too much for a car that should have been new.

I will not go every 5 weeks to reset the 12v battery, so I can have a normal range. 45 real km from 65km is a normal range it's 70% at -5-0 Celsius. If they say otherwise then that's a marketing bullshit and the car is not worth it.

As I write the car charged to 100% and it shows a range of 44km. As I said above, I will arrive from where I started 30km and 20-25km range. This means they have some big consumers, and per-heating the car it's just a bullshit excuse.

For everyone that purchased the car for EV range, including me, don't you feel deceived? I do.
Absolutely 100% deceived currently, I've not heard back from the dealer yet, but we are close to giving the car back and also claiming compensation for installing the fast charger which is pointless as its currently cheaper to use the petrol. We'll see if we can swap it out to a CX-5 petrol potentially, it's the high ride we want but were convinced with the CX-60 due the electric range and subsequent savings even in the current environment ... and it was great for 3 weeks, they need a S/W update and quick.

· Registered
30 Posts
Absolutely 100% deceived currently, I've not heard back from the dealer yet, but we are close to giving the car back and also claiming compensation for installing the fast charger which is pointless as its currently cheaper to use the petrol. We'll see if we can swap it out to a CX-5 petrol potentially, it's the high ride we want but were convinced with the CX-60 due the electric range and subsequent savings even in the current environment ... and it was great for 3 weeks, they need a S/W update and quick.
'Deceived' is a bit strong. All manufacturers use WLTP test results in marketing, and should be taken with a large dose of scepticism. No-one promised anything, they use language like 'up to' - and you may well find you do get much closer to that in warmer weather and ideal driving profile. For now, approaching the depths of UK winter, I'd say we're probably on a hiding to nothing complaining to the dealer about it. All cars suffer worse consumption in colder conditions whether that be petrol, diesel, or EV. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Deep discharge of lithium batteries is very bad for them and they don't like the cold - just facts of the technology.

The CX60 does seem to have some strong battery protection and is therefore retaining a larger % of battery as the weather gets colder. My own approach is to accept it for what it is and I fully expect available EV range will vary across our changeable temperature seasons - so at the moment (in UK) it is approaching worst-case. As ever, YMMV, literally.

· Registered
13 Posts
'Deceived' is a bit strong. All manufacturers use WLTP test results in marketing, and should be taken with a large dose of scepticism. No-one promised anything, they use language like 'up to' - and you may well find you do get much closer to that in warmer weather and ideal driving profile. For now, approaching the depths of UK winter, I'd say we're probably on a hiding to nothing complaining to the dealer about it. All cars suffer worse consumption in colder conditions whether that be petrol, diesel, or EV. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Deep discharge of lithium batteries is very bad for them and they don't like the cold - just facts of the technology.

The CX60 does seem to have some strong battery protection and is therefore retaining a larger % of battery as the weather gets colder. My own approach is to accept it for what it is and I fully expect available EV range will vary across our changeable temperature seasons - so at the moment (in UK) it is approaching worst-case. As ever, YMMV, literally.
I understand your point, but there's a limit to what is a reasonable 'up to' claim surely. if it's 15% less efficient then that's acceptable but when I'm down to 51% then that's not. None of this was explained when we bought the car ... and that's because we wouldn't have bothered, I would have either just bought the petrol model or even dropped down to a CX-5 if I'd had this information. So I think in this case the word 'deceived' is also acceptable. You could say, well you should have done more research, maybe that's true but dealerships should also be more transparent.

· Registered
78 Posts
I understand your point, but there's a limit to what is a reasonable 'up to' claim surely. if it's 15% less efficient then that's acceptable but when I'm down to 51% then that's not. None of this was explained when we bought the car ... and that's because we wouldn't have bothered, I would have either just bought the petrol model or even dropped down to a CX-5 if I'd had this information. So I think in this case the word 'deceived' is also acceptable. You could say, well you should have done more research, maybe that's true but dealerships should also be more transparent.
I am not surprised by the drop in range in cold weather, ALL my friends with EV and PHEV (all different makes) say the same, as temp drops towards zero range plummets. Partly due to inefficient battery performance, but the impact of heated seats, wheels and screens. With a full tank of diesel this percentage is lost in the range numbers, but when you only have 30 miles to start with it really brings it home to you.
My overnight charge is 8 pence per KW so even without full range I'm still well ahead on running cost. And I like the fact cabin heat comes through pretty much instantly.

· Registered
13 Posts
I am not surprised by the drop in range in cold weather, ALL my friends with EV and PHEV (all different makes) say the same, as temp drops towards zero range plummets. Partly due to inefficient battery performance, but the impact of heated seats, wheels and screens. With a full tank of diesel this percentage is lost in the range numbers, but when you only have 30 miles to start with it really brings it home to you.
My overnight charge is 8 pence per KW so even without full range I'm still well ahead on running cost. And I like the fact cabin heat comes through pretty much instantly.
We haven't got the benefit of the overnight discounts yet, do you mind me asking who you provider is? I had no idea that temp could affect range and that should me made very clear by the dealership. What I find confusing is that the 'algorithm' is potentially pre-guessing my driving habits and hence is already giving me a pessimistic range whereas if it was optimistic and showed the full range on each charge then recalculated for each drive depending on the accessories use and how I'm driving.

· Registered
3 Posts
Got my CX-60 as one of the first in the Netherlands early September, now 8000km on it. In September, EV range was 53km, easy. Now, with temperatures around 5C during the day, it goes down to 38km. The battery clearly does not like winter.

· Registered
78 Posts
We haven't got the benefit of the overnight discounts yet, do you mind me asking who you provider is? I had no idea that temp could affect range and that should me made very clear by the dealership. What I find confusing is that the 'algorithm' is potentially pre-guessing my driving habits and hence is already giving me a pessimistic range whereas if it was optimistic and showed the full range on each charge then recalculated for each drive depending on the accessories use and how I'm driving.
EDF on a tariff I locked in 2021, runs to July 23.. More luck than judgement on my part. I also get the winter fuel allowance so "cooking with gas" as they say!

81 - 100 of 824 Posts