Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2,195 Posts
Mine went back today for a range of issues, worst Mazda I've ever had for that! Suspension we all know about. Mi drive dropping out at dangerous moments and the car not accelerating. Limiter randomly kicking in, also dangerous. Radio not working sometimes, Dash illumination staying dark when it should be light and vice versa. Constant "12 volt battery low" warnings. Strange two stroke bike type noise. And very rough gear changes.
Last car I had with that many faults was an Austin Montego in the 80's
I've had the dash lighting issue as well, the gear changes and a bunch of other stuff. The dash lighting has a habit of switching to dark mode in tunnels etc and then not switching back to day mode afterwards...and those early gear changes can feel horrible when it jerks.

The MPG is also ridiculous and nowhere near what it is stated as being. Its currently costing me about the same as my old 400bhp Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R that guzzled unleaded like a Stella drinker at a football match, and thats without the battery being empty. God knows what it will cost when that does happen on a long trip and what it will then cost mile per mile.

The battery recharge from engine button is Esso's dream button - you can literally watch the fuel gauge going down after you press that.

My first Mazda, and slowly becoming a regretful purchase and the realisation that it will probably have to go and Im going to lose a big chunk of change.

I have worked out my total cost per mile over 2000+ miles and have equated to 54mpg pure petrol. On a long pure petrol motorway run in horrendous weather and against the wind I got 44 mpg actual. Bit better than my old CX5 auto. The cold has killed the battery range so I'm not expecting to do so well next fill up. Also my cheap night rate electric will run out next year.
Thanks for your insight Phil.

I was doing some figures last night, I've only covered around 1000 miles with mine and I am averaging around 20-24mpg on a combination of battery/petrol, with electricity more expensive than petrol right now (if you have to use street charging) and from what it achieves in this car it brings it in the realm of Imprezas and Alfa Stelvios 2.0T's.

I do need to do a long run to see what it manages with a flat battery.

My fuel stops from my previous Audi Q5 2.0 Diesel have now doubled, not taking into account the 3-4 hour charging stops.

I've not noticed any particular noise from the doors. Bit of wind noise from the mirrors at speed. What were you hearing?
I previously reported an overall equivalent MPG of mid 50's. Just done a recalc based on an Kwh charge of 24p rather than the 8p I get now. My mid 50s drops to 38. Not quite so impresive!
Once you factor in say Bulb/Octopus electricity standard rate cost at 35p pkwh or the street chargers at 40-50p pkwh (some even go up to 70p) then your cost per mile will drop down to nearer mine of 30-32mpg…

its turning out to be a very uneconomical car and there are severe discrepancies in their advertised and real world figures, id say probably close to being illegal but I am sure their lawyers made sure it was on borderline with the fine print!

Oh and if anyone wants to purchase one of these for ÂŁ50 let me know, I am just about to take mine off :)

As someone who factory ordered a CX-60 which arrived on November 26th, is there anything that I should be aware of in terms of issues, or should all of them have been rectified by the time mines was manufactured?
Debatable as it would depend what issue you are referring to as not everything has been addressed and your car may have been in transit for a few months..plus it may come with its own quirks as they seem to do!

I received a Mazda CX60 on December 20th ... I'm frustrated because the first car ride: 1/error message "engine maintenance mode" I can't switch MI-MODES... 2/error message 12V batteries...

so i drive only NORMAL mode and i make 20 km and i lost more like 25%batery ...without radio and AC...
I have to test the car more, but I have the feeling on wave roads that it is like a bouncy castle.

I went to test drive the car, but I don't have the same feeling...

I don't know what to do right now...
25% battery for around 12 miles? I wish I could manage that. Mine manages around 12 miles for 50% battery.

I'd drive it a bit more first, and then take it back to your dealer with the list of issues (as I am doing tomorrow) and see if they can rectify them, then decide if you like the car enough for you to accept the fact that the EV mileage is nowhere near as stated by Mazda and there will be other issues appearing or whether to reject the car and get your money back.

If you bought new you are in a great position to do that, sadly as I bought an ex demonstrator, my consumer rights are a lot less otherwise I would have returned mine. I do like the car and feel I should have waited for the Diesel variant as I am finding the PHEV is about as economical as Donald Trumps private jet.

I would be interesting to hear if you are having the gear change 1>2>3 jerking ? and if your wireless charger actually works more than it dosen't. I think my wireless charger has worked maybe 1 in every 10 trips, and often fails even after initially working.

yes , but in normal mode … not EV mode
i like a car but i dont know …
i try today a car more and i give you information about gear …

I want to ask everyone if they are considering buying a Mazda cx60?

GL
Same here, I don't use EV mode, just NORMAL, but my car uses EV only till around 25% battery is left, then goes to Hybrid (ICE and EV) and the battery drains much slower. I would prefer it to have Hybrid mode all the time, and for the life of me I don't know why it isn't an option in Mi-Drive, maybe something to do with emissions and company car tax brackets.

I think most people on here have already bought a CX60 as this is the CV60 'Problems' thread.

All Mazdas have a firmer ride when compared to many other brands, comfort and handling is always a compromise.

You can not achieve a soft compliant ride and also a sharp handling car, there is always a trade off....either one or the other.

Road surfaces are as many varieties around the world which also has an effect on ride, handling, road noise ( tyre profile).
IMO it is never a good idea to compare one brand of car/model with another, after all one should road test the car before purchase, you know what you are buying, or should.
Actually, you can achieve that. Many manufacturers have done as such.

I like the handling of the car on even road. Perform very nice on curves and hard braking .. My only concern regarding the suspension is not to be defective.
My car was produced on October, 12 and I don't know if they rectified the problem of incorrect combinations of shocks and springs by then.
If they rectified it on your car then you will have the latest part numbers fitted. Ask your dealer to pop it on a ramp and check.

I don't think 'defective' is the right word, it was just an incorrect match of strut pressure and spring weighting that caused the agitated and often bumpy ride.

I think if you wanted a Sports SUV, and Alfa Romeo Stelvio would have been better suited, I do worry a little like you regarding potential increased body roll with the newer suspension, so I would love to hear from others who have tried them both too.

Unbelievable...
I think that a "premium" car should have an acoustic insulation (from factory) according to its price. Removing the inner cover doors to install an adhesive insulation?? I don`t know...
In my opinion, and considering the long list of issues that this car has, it feels like a worldwide beta test product.
Too many dealer visits for a brand new car.
I agree with this, I feel it simply wasn't ready to be released and Mazda are using the first adopters as their product testers. It's not an uncommon practice sadly.

I visited a main dealer yesterday with my list of issues, some they have said they are having with their demo car and some are new to them. I gave them the list and they will consult with Mazda HQ when they are back from the holiday period on the 3rd Jan.

Suspension bouncy - Dealer knows about this and said there is a courtesy recall if requested

Gear Shifts - Clunky and jerky, especially when off full EV mode - Dealer said his Demonstrator experiences similar, but for him he said the car ' does not know what to do and makes a mess of calculating the best course of action'. He said Mazda are working on a solution but he isn't hopeful for a fix anytime soon.

Battery range (!!) - He was very defensive over this, but admitted that he can only get 15-20 out of his demo, but tried toi play it down like it was 'acceptable' compared to the advertised figures - this got my nose up a bit!

Wind noise from doors / tinny sound when closing - He did not know anything about the service bulletin for this

Dab radio fails to initialise if you have it on, then lock up the car, come back a short while later etc – it seems to forget its DAB tune - Didn't have the same issue with his demonstrator

Wireless charging pad (tried with various phones, various cases etc) - works only around 1 in 10 times after faffing to get it to work, and even then will stop working after a period of time, its basically useless

Apple Carplay – various issues like calls hanging up randomly

- Mazda have new Firmware that needs uploading to vehicle, dealership do not know anything about this

Dash illumination – a mind of its own

will go night mode when it wants, or if going through a tunnel will go into night mode and then not go back into daytime mode when out of the tunnel requiring manual intervention - intermittent fault

ICE Recharging

The car goes into recharge function as it pleases, normally when battery is around 25%. In town traffic, it is very noticeable and causes vibrations through the seat/wheel/dash and evident rumbling noise. Completely unacceptable for a premium SUV, its like a diesel bus in the 80's. He said his demo car is similar and also the ICE 'hunts'.

So, will report back when I hear what solutions are posed etc.

When we had our test drive I remarked at the time that the ride felt ... and this is a very technical term, sorry ... wallowy :sneaky:. We were use to a MX-5 and a Mazda 6 GT Sport Estate so I put it down to us not being use to the high ride etc. However, the car we had delivered doesn't seem to be as 'wallowy' but ours does go back in in mid Jan, they have it for 3 days so I will ask them to check that the suspension has been done and let you know. We also picked ours up in October.
Ah thats interesting to know and yes please if you can report back.

I have a fear now that the 'comfort' suspension option is going to be that wallowy ride, as they aren't employing any new technology in the shock absorbers, merely age old single gas struts and all they have done is change the pressure while still retaining the same spring weighting.

So I have grabbed your list and said yay or nay to us having similar:

Suspension bouncy - Not 100% on this as we were used to cars with a firmer ride but will confirm with the dealer.

Gear Shifts - Clunky and jerky, especially when off full EV mode - My wife has complained about this but I've not noticed it so much, she has said its cut out completely on her a couple of times.

Battery range (!!) - Agreed, I think they should be far more transparent about what affects the range and how cost effective it actually is, this was one of our buying choices.

Wind noise from doors / tinny sound when closing - Not noticed this but will look out for it now.

Dab radio fails to initialise if you have it on, then lock up the car, come back a short while later etc – it seems to forget its DAB tune - We have this issue.

Wireless charging pad (tried with various phones, various cases etc) - Ours works fine with our iPhones

Apple Carplay – various issues like calls hanging up randomly - not noticed this as an issue but then I don't use Carplay that often.

Dash illumination – a mind of its own -
Again I've not noticed this with our car.

ICE Recharging - Ours only re-charges if I press the button, so I am not sure where this function is to automatically do it can you explain more?

Our model is the Takumi if it makes any difference?
Thanks for your comments @BigG , definitely good to get some parallels. I've done 3k miles now, the problems have seemed to get worse the more miles I do.

The car will recharge itself sometimes, I have no idea what makes it choose to do so, others have reported it on this thread also - the dash recharge icon dosen't come on when it does it. The way I know it is happening is that the car/engine begins to run rough and vibrations come through the car and it is noisy (and the battery will go up in charge slightly - sometimes its fast, sometimes its slow), this is the same behaviour when I hit the recharge button in traffic. It does it for me when the battery is below 25%...but not all the time. Its certainly bizarre. I can't use the recharge button around time as its just too uncomfortable with the vibrations, I spent ÂŁ50k on a car, if I wanted that I would have bought a ÂŁ500 Vauxhall from 1992!

Glad to hear about the Wireless charger being ok for you, I hope mine may just be a faulty part that can be easily replaced.

I havent had it cut out on me yet with the gearbox, but there have been quite a few 'jerks' that have been very violent, if you've ever driven a car with a faulty fuel pump which cuts in and out, its like that. Tbh, because of this I am a little fearful at junctions and roundabouts wondering what it will do when I need to move quickly.

The battery range was one of my primary reasons for purchase to. As I live in a city, being able to run most of my trips in the week on EV was paramount, even on the high electricity price it was still financially sound doing so with a 39 mile range. With 15-20 miles being the actuality, its 1, too expensive and 2, too inconvenient to do so. I don't have a home charger as I was told I would get the half price PodPoint install but when attempting to sort that the dealer I bought it from (Bolton Motorpark) refused to honour it, Mazda Customer Service were uninterested in this.

Hispano - It might be worth using Google translate and posting the English translation text so others don't have to.

I havent had the fuel filling issue yet..but never say never!

The gearbox seems to be a big headache for Mazda's engineers. Last time I went to the dealership told me the same thing: "they're working on it". I think they've no idea how to fix it quickly. Good luck!
I think the reality is they have no idea how to fix it 'cheaply' :)

Uncommon or not I already lawyer-ed up and send two notifications. Brand new car that does what it says in the description or money back. I love the car interior/exterior but I installed photovoltaic panels to be able to use the car in electric. Since the range and other issues are too much, I am not waiting for their resolution!
I hope it all goes smoothly for you, if I had bought new and not an ex-demonstrator I would be doing the same also. However if they fail to make the repairs in the first couple of attempts, I may be going down a small claims court route too. I can't see them fixing the range, or lack of it... though..

Hi everyone,

My first ever car was a Mazda 2 which I purchased back in 2008. Believe it or not my parents still use that car as a secondary one and it has not had any major issues during its 14 years on the roads (with good maintenance and servicing of course). This experience made me believe that Mazda is a car brand that makes really reliable cars and it was one of the main reasons that lead me to order the CX-60 some months ago.

I have had my new car in Sweden for a week now. I love its exterior and interior, I love how spacious it is, I love how well made it feels in the cabin but unfortunately as all of you here I have seen some issues with it. It seems to me that Mazda did not do their homework well enough this time and they rushed to release the model hoping that the early adopters will be used as guinea pigs.

Here is my experience with the car so far:

EV range:
I get around 35-40km on pure electric drive after fully charging the car. This is way less than what Mazda promised me but I am the owner of an electric KIA as well and I know that the electric range during winter is heavily affected by the cold Swedish climate. My hope is that the EV range of the Mazda will get better as the weather gets warmer. This remains to be seen.

Door closing sound:
I hate it. It literally sounds like the 14 year old Mazda 2 that I mentioned above. Really bad of Mazda to not offer a premium, solid door closing sound on a 60,000 euro car but instead offer the same sound as in a car that costs 3-4 times less. I am aware of the possibility to insulate the doors in the dealership (I haven't asked my dealer yet so I do not know if this is something offered for free by Mazda Sweden) but to disassemble the inner side of the doors and rebuild them for the sake of the closing sound, sounds kind of.... terrifying to me. I am worried that I will then start hearing creaking sounds from the doors due to poor reassembly.

Doors opening too fast:
I have noticed that the doors do not have much resistance when opening so if it is a really windy day outside they can literally smash open. This worries me because I do not want the hinges to get damaged but I am hoping that my dealer can help me by increasing the resistance. Has anyone else experienced this and do you know if it is possible to increase the door hinges resistance?

Vibrations when driving between 50 and 80 km/h
A very annoying thing I have noticed is that the car vibrates when I drive between 50 and 80 km/h. I feel a vibration on the driver's seat and I can hear a low humming sound. I do not know if the same vibrations can be felt in the passenger's seat but I assume so. Has anyone else experienced this?

Wireless charging randomly working
Like many others here I have also experienced that the wireless charging is not working as expected. My iPhone starts charging and a minute or two later it stops (I get a message in the car display "Wireless charging not available"). I am hoping that this is something that can be corrected with a software update or a simple part replacement in the car, otherwise it's a totally useless feature. Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the wireless charger completely for the car menu settings?

Changes made in the settings not saved
I have noticed that some changes that I make in the car settings are being reset after I turn on the car the next day. Let's say that one night I change 5 settings in the car, the next morning I notice that 2 of them have been reset to their factory settings but the other 3 have been saved. Very inconsistent behaviour but it sounds like a software bug to me.

Engine standby sound
When I turn on the engine and the car is on standby in EV mode I hear an annoying high pitched sound. I guess that this is expected behaviour but I can't help but wonder why Mazda has not built a completely quiet EV engine like other car manufacturers? My electric KIA is completely quiet when on standby.

These are my negative experiences with my new CX-60 so far. I love many things about the car but after the issues during my 1st week with it and all the other issues that members in this forum have written about I am starting to become uncertain about what is to come in the future. I chose a Mazda because of my fault-less experience with my first owned car but I am now starting to doubt the reliability of the brand and I am wondering if I should have chosen a cheaper KIA plug-in hybrid instead (my current electric KIA has had no issues at all during 3 years of ownership).
EV range:

I live in London, apart from a bit of a cold spell last year in November, its relatively mild (around 12-15c) and the EV range hasn't improved at all.

Door closing sound:

I'm with you on the sound-proofing of the doors - the second a car comes apart, it never goes back together as well as it was from the factory, so I am debating whether having this done or not for that reason.

Doors opening too fast:

I haven't noticed this on mine, but will investigate

Vibrations when driving between 50 and 80 km/h

One thing you can check - have the car running in normal mode with the ICE running on standstill. Press the recharge button - are those vibrations and noises similar to what you are experiencing in your 50-80km run?

If not, it could also just be a badly balanced wheel on yours which is easily rectified

Wireless charging randomly working

Yep, completely. I should have a response from Mazda on this this week some time, but I imagine they will say it needs to do to a dealer for investigation.

Changes made in the settings not saved

Not noticed this but haven't played around too much tbh

Engine standby sound

Yup the EV motor sound is very prominent even on standstill, it doesn't annoy me too much, but I was surprised by how loud it is in comparison to other EV vehicles.

Regarding EV range, same happened to me. 25-30 at sub zero temperature but as soon as the outside temp raised around 10 degrees, I was able to pull 40-45. Right now, where I live are 12 degrees outside and, after charging the battery to 90% over night, I have 48km range on dash.

Doors open fast also but I learnt to keep a hand on it until fully opened.

I also feel the vibration within 55-75 km/h and went to the dealer. They took to a test and convinced themselves that indeed the car vibrates at speeds above 55km/h. They say that most likely, the vibrations come from winter tires and asked me to check if there will be any vibration when I'll change the summer tires.
But I doubt that the winter tires are the cause because when I am in EV mode, I don't feel the vibration at all .. Anyways, I'll wait for the tires changes and see then what the situation will be.

In addition, when I pass the bumps, I hear a clanking noise somewhere under the car. These noises should not be present in a premium car.
You mention you are measuring your EV range by the amount on the dash. I have found this to be very inaccurate, have you tested it from full charge on the ODO meter to see the distance you have travelled per battery charge?

My dash range can say 39 miles when fully charged, but it manages half that in real world driving.

1 - 20 of 2,195 Posts