Mazda CX-70 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Issue....Applies to Mazda CX-60.

Some vehicles may exhibit improper indication of the fuel gauge.
  • Fuel gauge does not indicate "F" after filling up.
  • Fuel gauge indication fluctuates (suddenly goes up and/or down) during driving.

The Cause....
Fuel gauge float may touch the fuel transfer tube in the fuel tank.

This issue apples to the CX-60's within the following VIN Range, there is no replacement of the Fuel Pump, as in the Pump is not defective, but issue is caused by the original installation of Fuel Pump assembly at the sub assembly production line.

From and to VIN Number (last 6 Digits) and Production Dates..
VIN 100001 to 113385 .
Mar. 15, 2022 to Oct. 10, 2022.

The repair is obviously under warranty and involves quite a few steps by Technician to rectify the position of the Fuel Transfer Tube (or pipe). The Removal and Replacement of original Fuel Pump assembly, etc.

It is worth noting that this issue does not and will not apply to all Mazda CX-60s within the vehicle range above as it is an issue of the sub assembling of the fuel pump and system before being installed in car.

In my many years experience with Mazda they always takes the cautious and conservative approach, they really do value their customers and their safety is paramount.

NOTE: Your car will NOT catch fire or any such issue, very worse case scenario is you may run out of fuel.
As I said NOT all cars will have any issue whatsoever and the majority will never have an issue.

These are one of Mazda's preventative maintenance issues, frankly I was in two minds about posting this info as it is not a recall or safety one, just one of acute dash fuel level gauge fluctuation.

This bulletin is only a few days old so your Dealer may not even know about it yet, IF YOU ARE NOT having this issue then seriously I would not be concerned at all, as I see it you either have the problem or you do not.
2023 Bulletin Number R002/23

Below here is an image of the Transfer Pipe in question inside the Fuel Tank which may need repositioning or may not.
Watch Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

· Registered
30 Posts
The Issue....Applies to Mazda CX-60.

Some vehicles may exhibit improper indication of the fuel gauge.
  • Fuel gauge does not indicate "F" after filling up.
  • Fuel gauge indication fluctuates (suddenly goes up and/or down) during driving.

The Cause....
Fuel gauge float may touch the fuel transfer tube in the fuel tank.

This issue apples to the CX-60's within the following VIN Range, there is no replacement of the Fuel Pump, as in the Pump is not defective, but issue is caused by the original installation of Fuel Pump assembly at the sub assembly production line.

From and to VIN Number (last 6 Digits) and Production Dates..
VIN 100001 to 113385 .
Mar. 15, 2022 to Oct. 10, 2022.

The repair is obviously under warranty and involves quite a few steps by Technician to rectify the position of the Fuel Transfer Tube (or pipe). The Removal and Replacement of original Fuel Pump assembly, etc.

It is worth noting that this issue does not and will not apply to all Mazda CX-60s within the vehicle range above as it is an issue of the sub assembling of the fuel pump and system before being installed in car.

In my many years experience with Mazda they always takes the cautious and conservative approach, they really do value their customers and their safety is paramount.

NOTE: Your car will NOT catch fire or any such issue, very worse case scenario is you may run out of fuel.
As I said NOT all cars will have any issue whatsoever and the majority will never have an issue.

These are one of Mazda's preventative maintenance issues, frankly I was in two minds about posting this info as it is not a recall or safety one, just one of acute dash fuel level gauge fluctuation.

This bulletin is only a few days old so your Dealer may not even know about it yet, IF YOU ARE NOT having this issue then seriously I would not be concerned at all, as I see it you either have the problem or you do not.
2023 Bulletin Number R002/23

Below here is an image of the Transfer Pipe in question inside the Fuel Tank which may need repositioning or may not.
View attachment 130
Thank you ASH8. I would proudly promote you as Mazda First Person head of customer relations with clients. I think I speak for many of Mazda owners, here CX-60, you are great person. This is how I would expect my dealer and Mazda country representatives to handle issues and report to clients.

Unfortunately some are not doing their job as they should have( communication between dealerships / importers with the client ) and that is only hurting Mazda.

I recently went with a mechanic to refuel, signaling I am having issues and by coincidence the Fuel gauge went to 100%. The fuel gauge has 48 grey bars ( meaning that a bar would represent 1.04166667 liters ) I had to refuel with aproximate 29-30 liters and I managed only 27.2 liters. He smiled very proudly that it showed the needle at 100%. I told him that I will be back again to go again for a refuel. I wasn't bothered by the fact that he smiled but by the fact that he didn't even care. He didn't even suggest to test this a few more times. I told him that because it already happened to me 3-4 times.

The previous week i had the needle bellow 50% and managed to refuel with only 23 liters instead of 26 liters and when I started the car it only showed 97% full. But if I tried to refuel again the gas would spill out.

Again, thank you for what you are doing, having all of these issues but knowing that there is at least one person to trust about a correct information is really reassuring!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind there is another separate issue and Bulletin regarding fuel refilling issues...
See this thread, this is a simple Software update with MDARS at Dealership.

Look don't take it too hard on Dealerships, While Mazda training is pretty good on all new models it is always an issue to get staff to attend as they are always outside of work and in on your time.

When compared to many brands Mazda's are made so good that issues dont appear very often at a Dealership to get the experience on a particular issue, a small Dealer may only sell 5 or less CX-60s per month.

Always be polite to the Service guy and suggest you have heard of a fix and quote Bulletin Number, if they ask just say you read it online.

· Registered
30 Posts
Keep in mind there is another separate issue and Bulletin regarding fuel refilling issues...
See this thread, this is a simple Software update with MDARS at Dealership.

Look don't take it too hard on Dealerships, While Mazda training is pretty good on all new models it is always an issue to get staff to attend as they are always outside of work and in on your time.

When compared to many brands Mazda's are made so good that issues dont appear very often at a Dealership to get the experience on a particular issue, a small Dealer may only sell 5 or less CX-60s per month.

Always be polite to the Service guy and suggest you have heard of a fix and quote Bulletin Number, if they ask just say you read it online.

Always was patient at the dealership. I have already received the update and the problem persisted. I always refuel with less then what the needle shows and from time to time the needle doesn't show full.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I also add that Fuel Guages are not 100% accurate and never have or will be, there are so many variable including the Temperature of the petrol itself underground, if coming direct from refinery it can be quite warm to hot when put in underground tanks. The old expansion and contraction.

I know many fussy owners like to run their own MPG, MPL, KPL distance checking against the cars readouts. Just be careful as refilling to the brim all the time is not good for the cars Evaporative Charcoal Cannister as you are filling these small breather pipes with fuel and Cannister Tank also, it is not good for fuel system.

The best method to get into when re-filling at petrol stations are to fill to when the pump auto FIRST turns off, that's it, DO NOT pump anymore fuel as you are over-filling vaccum/evaporative lines.

If you stop at first click shut off that is your standard to measure at everytime. Plus you won't hurt Emission Evap System. (y)

· Registered
30 Posts
Can I also add that Fuel Guages are not 100% accurate and never have or will be, there are so many variable including the Temperature of the petrol itself underground, if coming direct from refinery it can be quite warm to hot when put in underground tanks. The old expansion and contraction.

I know many fussy owners like to run their own MPG, MPL, KPL distance checking against the cars readouts. Just be careful as refilling to the brim all the time is not good for the cars Evaporative Charcoal Cannister as you are filling these small breather pipes with fuel and Cannister Tank also, it is not good for fuel system.

The best method to get into when re-filling at petrol stations are to fill to when the pump auto FIRST turns off, that's it, DO NOT pump anymore fuel as you are over-filling vaccum/evaporative lines.

If you stop at first click shut off that is your standard to measure at everytime. Plus you won't hurt Emission Evap System. (y)

1.I always re-fill until the pump stops. If it stops I am done
2. After the update I still get the needle of the fuel gauge at around 90-97% from time to time
3. I often put less fuel than what the needle shows.
4. My VIN is in within the ones you showed
5. I have a hard time putting the pump in auto fill mode, if take the hand from the trigger the safety jumps. Never happen for me when refuel a car and using the safety to let the pump fill automatically. With Mazda I have to hold my hand all 30-40 liters.

Having all these cases shouldn't I ask the dealership?

Thank you!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All what cases?, obviously IF you have an issue report it to him.

If you get the air block one "Refuelling Stops" then like bulletin says there is a MDARS software update (only a Mazda Dealer can do), if your car is within the VIN he should do it....bulletin number TSB NUMBER: R114/22. But You MUST tell him you are having difficulty refuelling at gas pump, no car maker fixes things on a whim.

The latest one about fuel gauge reading in dash dramatically changing as the float gets stuck, I don't see you are having any issue there.
In this case you really have nothing to report as it is not happening.

Some trivia, in Australia we don't have Auto Fill petrol or gas pumps, you must have your hand on squeeze trigger all the time until it Auto shuts when full, or you let go to stop fill, Auto Fill pumps were banned here about 40 years ago when self serve took over.

· Registered
30 Posts
All what cases?, obviously IF you have an issue report it to him.

If you get the air block one "Refuelling Stops" then like bulletin says there is a MDARS software update (only a Mazda Dealer can do), if your car is within the VIN he should do it....bulletin number TSB NUMBER: R114/22. But You MUST tell him you are having difficulty refuelling at gas pump, no car maker fixes things on a whim.

The latest one about fuel gauge reading in dash dramatically changing as the float gets stuck, I don't see you are having any issue there.
In this case you really have nothing to report as it is not happening.

Some trivia, in Australia we don't have Auto Fill petrol or gas pumps, you must have your hand on squeeze trigger all the time until it Auto shuts when full, or you let go to stop fill, Auto Fill pumps were banned here about 40 years ago when self serve took over.

Thanks for the trivia, didn't knew that. I still have an issue then with the "air block - refuelling stops" Since I got the the needle not always full after refuelling. I already had the update so that update didn't seem to fix the issue.

1. Fuel gauge does not indicate "F" after filling up. Is there a "F" after filling up? The only message I see is Preparing for refueling. And that's it. When does that "F" appear ? After I closed the lid of the gas pump?
2. Fuel gauge indication fluctuates (suddenly goes up and/or down) during driving. One time I saw the needle move from down to up ( 1 or 2 grey bars ) during driving.

PS: I just remembered about the needle fluctuation just because I am tired of all the issues the car had and has. Last one is the gear noise that is tiresome,

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just want to add, although your dash is a digital one (gauges), the mechanism inside fuel tanks (all brands of cars using liquid petroleum gas tanks) is not digital but analog (mechanical), fuel in tanks and air by pass emission can slightly slow things down, the alalog to digital readout can be a little behind, in otherwords your readout is not instantly full you may see it creep up a little in the first 60 seconds. Can also fluctuate if car is not level after leaving gas station, gas liquid moves around...to me less than a few litres in readout error is not a concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts